Known to be an educational landmark, the project’s site, St.Mary’s Girl School, was the first Western curriculum school for women in China.
Extensive research on the school’s history led to the rehabilitation of the original “garth” (lawn) space that was a part of the original cloistered garden and playground. A powerful landscape concept was drawn around the idea of preserving the lawn which is seen as the most important relic from the school’s glorious past. In the new masterplan, the main lawn (which measures slightly more than 1000 sq.m.) is restored to its pristine state as a ‘‘moment’’ in the landscape to celebrate is previous history and unify the old and new architectural elements on site.
Commercial & Residential, Heritage
YEAR OF COMPLETION